• Call (817) 545-3900 to find the best insurance coverage

  • Life insurance can help safeguard your loved ones’ future and financially protect them from the unexpected, allowing them to cover final expenses, keep up with daily living costs, and save for the future. If you’ve recently moved to the U.S. for a permanent stay and are wondering if you’re able to purchase life insurance, there are a few things to keep in mind.

    Life insurance for immigrants

    Each life insurance company may have different rules around applicants who are not U.S. citizens, so it’s important to do your research. Life insurance companies may consider some of the following:

    • Length of residency: You may need to provide proof of U.S. residency for a certain number of years before being eligible to apply for coverage.
    • Country considerations: Some countries may not allow you to buy life insurance in the U.S. due to regulations.
    • U.S. limitations: People moving to the U.S. from certain countries may require additional underwriting.

    For people who have moved to the U.S. and have obtained a green card or visa, many life insurance companies do provide coverage options. Along with the typical underwriting process, you may be required to provide some additional information when you apply.

    Visa holders

    If you have a visa, you have permission for residence within the U.S for a designated period of time, typically for school or work. To apply for life insurance, visa holders typically have more documentation to provide to the insurance company than a green card holder. You will often have to share, how long you have been here and whether you plan to permanently reside here in the future. You may need to provide a copy of your visa and other supporting documentation. The insurance company may also have you fill out a foreign resident questionnaire that asks you questions about your employment and travel history.

    Green card holders

    If you have a green card, you are considered a permanent resident and can usually apply for life insurance coverage as a U.S. citizen. There will likely be a section on the application that allows you to disclose your resident status.

    Undocumented immigrants

    Without proper identification and documentation, such as a green card or visa, it can be more difficult to obtain life insurance coverage. Not all carriers accept undocumented immigrants, but companies that do most likely require an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) and may have limitations on the death benefit amount or type of coverage that they offer.

    NORTH AMERICAN A Sammons Financial Company